Panguipulli Model Forest

Country: Chile
Location: Tenth region of Chile, region of Los Lagos
Year joined IMFN: 2005
Area of Model Forest: 329,200 hectares
Regional affiliation: Ibero-American Model Forest Network

Contact information


Sergio Toledo
Tel: +56-91780841
e-mail: stoledo-omdel@telsur.cl

Forest profile and resources
 
The town of Panguipulli is located in the northeast of the province of Valdivia, in the Tenth Region of Los Lagos. It is important to consider the high presence of native forest found in the Tenth Region,  and which constitutes a source of renewable resources that, if appropriately managed, would make it possible to achieve sustainable development. The region of Los Lagos is an eminent forest region, with a surface area of 3,820,502 hectares of forest, which represents 57.2% of the total area of the region, and which makes it Chile’s most highly wooded area. Native forest covers 95% of the total area, with only the remaining 5% being plantations.  In addition, the Los Lagos region features 10 of all 12 forest types found in Chile.

Economic profile
 
With a population of approximately 32,809 inhabitants, the town is characterized by being highly rural (68%) and its populational dispersion. The economically active population is at 61%, with youths representing 32% of the population, and adults (non-minors) 8%. In addition, Panguipulli is home to a high degree of cultural wealth, given that the majority of the population belong to the Mapuche communities, which have maintained their ancestral way of life and its connections to nature.

The economy is based primarily on services, agriculture, and tourism. Its economic history grew with the course of forest extraction, which lasted for more than 50 years. Now that many businesses in that sector have gone bankrupt, the area is looking for other possibilities, through tourism and environmental sustainability, in the form of program entitled Destino Turístico de los Siete Lagos [tourism destination of Siete Lagos]. This process was headed by the Municipality of Panguipulli, Public Services and local stakeholders, mainly micro and small business owners.

Partners

The Board of Directors is composed of representatives from public, private, social and academic organizations. The members constructively exert their influence throughout the program area. The board is comprised of 13 members, who represent the following entities:

  • Consejo de Loncos [council of tribal chiefs]
  • Agricultural workers
  • Municipality of Panguipulli
  • Regional administration
  • CONAF
  • Institute for agro-fisheries development [Instituto de Desarrollo Agropecuario (INDAP)]
  • Corporation for the promotion of production [Corporación de Fomento de la Producción (CORFO)]
  • Ministry of Agriculture (MINAGRI)
  • Universidad Austral de Chile (UACH) [Southern university of Chile]
  • Private forestry sector
  • Processing industries
  • Agrupaciones de Ingenieros Forestales por el Bosque Nativo [coalitions of forestry engineers for the native forest]
  • Vice-Consulate of Araucanía
  • In addition, the Mayor His Excellency Alejandro Kohler is a rightful member of the Board, for the efforts he has made for installation of the Program in the town of Panguipulli


Strategic goals

  • Conservation and sustainable forest management
  • Local economic development
  • Promotion of cultural, biological, and landscape diversity
  • Development of mechanisms to promote associations
  • Strengthening of public-private management and coordination
  • Development of mechanisms for the promotion of research and technology transfer
  • Citizen involvement and environmental education
  • Strengthen tourism at the town level