Sustainable economic development is a priority for many of the resource-dependent communities located throughout the IMFN. Model Forest stakeholders recognize that without the involvement of local people in decision-making processes, and without a sustainable and meaningful income for forest-based communities, sustainable development is unlikely to occur.
By promoting a collaborative approach, Model Forests contribute to community sustainability and economic development by:
- Offering a platform for the free flow of ideas, data and resources for informed decision-making about economic alternatives to current practices
- Allowing for the sharing of experiences and lessons learned
- Finding locally relevant approaches and solutions to sustainability challenges
- Allowing for competing values and interests to be represented in the partnership
- Promoting initiatives that reconcile economic priorities, social concerns and environmental
Please go to the Activities Database to see the Model Forests working on this theme.